I believe I have previously mentioned my momma’s vegan experience. That was an interesting, what 3 weeks? However, these three weeks happened to have birthday parties and special occasions that required desserts. Gulp, I had never made any vegan desserts before, or none that I could remember. So off to my computer I went and googled “Vegan Desserts”. Well, if you want to make something like a fruit salad, you’re good, but what if you want chocolate. That’s when I came across the website that became my best friend http://www.egglesscooking.com and to be honest, I still check there once and a while, the recipes are just that good. The recipe I came across and fell in love with was the vegan brownie, and truthfully, my family and I like it better than normal brownies. This one belongs in the cookbook.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 and ½ cups white sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar (The harder you pack, the more you get!)
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (We buy the store brand because it’s cheaper, and it tastes just as good, just don’t use it for hot coco; I made that mistake, blech.)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup water
½ cup veggie oil
2 tsp. Vanilla (I’d put in more, but this was before my experimenting days!J)
½ cup applesauce-not chunky (to moisten the brownies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (Our oven works now ad only takes five minutes to pre-heat instead of ½ hour now!)
- Mix together the first six ingredients in a large bowl
- Add in the water, oil, veggie oil, vanilla and applesauce.
- Spread in a 9 by 13 inch pan (or put into cupcake tins for fun shapes, just adjust the cooking time)
- Bake for 30 minutes in the middle of the oven. Make sure to turn off the oven when the brownies are done. J
- Cool for 45 minutes (this would be the time to get out of the house; I hate waiting, with a passion. Seriously, I have no patience in the kitchen!
- ENJOY!! And that’s an order!
- Let me know if you like them better than normal brownies.
Going Vegan? We’ve got plenty of recipes. But, the brownies are by far the best!
Live, laugh, love, eat,
Marley and Me